Sunday, March 13, 2011

Monster Angels

Things change when you become a parent. If you have children you know what I mean and if you don't well DON'T have kids! Ha just kidding.. unless you'd be an unfit parent, then seriously don't. So I got to thinking about what things were like before we brought these monsters sweet angels into our lives.

Things I miss:

Going to the bathroom alone. Going to the bathroom in a public place without having to ask someone to not lick the bathroom stall door. Basically just being able to go to the bathroom when one pleases and not have to worry about supervising what's being touched while you're in there or what nonflushable item has been shoved down the toilet when you turned around for one second.

Being able to take a shower when I want. Now I have to coordinate my showers around nap time or I have to bring a very grabby toddler into the shower with me. Have you ever had someone turn extremely hot water on you only to then have the cold turned all the way on immediately after? Yeah, not my idea of a good time either.

Sleep. I actually don't remember what a full night's sleep feels like. I think it was nice? I seemed to really enjoy it so I wouldn't mind getting that back.

Grocery shopping when all the items I put in my buggy make it home with me. Usually I end up with items I've picked up either being thrown over the side or secretly placed back on shelves when I get the buggy a little too close to a shelf.  Last item I needed was a Birthday card that never made it to the check out line. I was too exhausted from the constant bending to pick up everything that was hauled over the side to walk back and get another one.

Car rides when I can sing at the top of my lungs. Now I'm told to be quiet and that I'm too loud. Pshh too loud? Is there a too loud when Pat Benatar is on??

Being able to do things like buy new reading glasses or cut my hair without being told I look bad. Thank you very honest 3 year old, now I have insecurities...

Silence. I really do miss this one. I really like to have quiet time and that seems hard to find between the 2 of them.

Things that I'd miss if I didn't have kids:

Baby hugs and kisses. I mean seriously is there anything sweeter than an open mouth tongue on your face slobber kiss?? No, I don't think so.

Bedtime stories. I can read all the kid books I want and nobody will think that odd because of course I'm reading them to my 3 year old... yeah, I mean I'm not just sitting there reading them alone, laughing out loud... no, no not me....

Feeling Proud. I've never felt so proud as I do when I see or hear my kids do something awesome. They are so incredibly smart and I can't imagine not ever feeling like a proud momma. I know I cheese so big whenever anyone comments on Cullen's big blue eyes or on how articulate Slaten is.

Hanging out at home. This was never fun before kids. We always had to be on the go, but now I look forward to evenings where it's just me and my little family hanging out, watching movies, or playing outside.

Messes. Well this one could also go under the thing I miss about before kids... but there's just something about walking into the living room and seeing all those toys spread about. It just reminds me of how lucky I am.

A love for my husband that is so much deeper than it was before we had kids. Something about seeing him as a daddy just made me fall even further in love.

I'm so insanely lucky to have such a wonderful little family. Sure there are things I miss from my life before kids, but I wouldn't change a thing. These 2 little guys hold my heart and I thank God that I am their mommy.  Even if I can't get a bathroom break alone.....

No comments:

Post a Comment