Monday, August 22, 2011

This Ain't No Craft Blog

So this past week Sweet Husband I were quite
the little DIYers.
We had a lot of fun working together
and I only freaked out on him maybe
3 times!!


 A little background for you. My parents have over 20 acres on a mountain and this past December we moved next door into a little place that they bought when they expanded their land. This place needed some SERIOUS work. I mean SERIOUS work. It took us several months to get it move in ready and we're still not done with things we need/want to do to fix it up, but we're getting there. We had fixed up the kitchen with some paint, but recently I decided (because I change my mind/taste/style rather frequently) the kitchen needed a face lift. 

 So we got to work. We pulled these stripe thingies off the wall, filled them in with several rounds of drywall mud, sanded them (which resulted in some white nostrils... I did find a mask that I wore for the last 5 minutes of sanding, but I guess that was rather pointless), then we painted the trim and last but not least the walls got a new coat of paint. But alas we still needed something else. So I painted my light fixture and I glued coffee filters on another. Yes, as a matter of fact I do have an addiction to coffee filters.. 

 Still we didn't feel like it was complete. So we drove our little hineys to Home Depot and we got our supplies to do our back splash. Then we put it up... that was fun..... Now we just need new curtains, slipcovers, and maybe one day new floors.  And wallah we'll be done! So I just thought I'd show you why I've been such a blog slacker. I'm not going to show you all of my kitchen because 1. I don't have new curtains yet. 2. We had just eaten lunch and I hadn't cleaned off the table. 3. My windows are dirty.

Here are some before and after pictures. I don't have pictures from when before we moved in, but just imagine hideous wallpaper, food stuck to the floor, odd smells, and lots of dirt.


Before







After






3 comments:

  1. I love that backsplash! :) Very nice job guys! We are not big DIY, which is why we bought our new, newly painted house, but I hope to get better about projects like this for later on when we want an update. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wowww! i looks so different! was the back splash easy?! give me tips! I want to do one so bad but am so nervous to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!

    Ashley, wanna know a secret!? The whole backsplash only cost us $25. It is actually paintable wallpaper and Martha Stewart's metallic paint. It looks just like tin!! We found it at Home Depot and had to give it a try. It wasn't as hard as we expected it to be, but it is a little time consuming. Totally worth it though :)

    ReplyDelete